MADISON AVENUE ELEMENTARY K-2Dr. Melissa Philley, Principal
LOCATION:1199 Madison Avenue,Madison, MS 39110
DESCRIPTION OF SCHOOL:
Madison Avenue Elementary (MAE) is a kindergarten through 2nd grade learning environment. MAE is one of 11 public elementary schools in the Madison County School District with approximately 500 enrolled.
At MAE, we focus on achieving academic excellence, maintaining a safe learning environment, and developing healthy and active students. Our Kingdom System teaches acceptable behaviors, increases school pride and community spirit and provides our school with outstanding Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports (PBIS). Our students benefit from a positive school community and consistent expectations in all areas of the school. From the hallways to the playground, from the cafeteria to the restrooms, the Kingdom System and PBIS helps MAE students understand what is expected of them and provides motivation to comply with those expectations.
Daily special area rotation classes allow students to be exposed to music, the arts, the library, computer lab, and physical education on a regular basis. We also have opportunities for students to participate in computer coding, robotics, strings, choir and chess.
Arts-integrated instruction is a foundational practice at MAE. We have been a “Model School” for the arts as awarded by the Mississippi Arts Commission’s Whole School Arts Initiative. Since implementing the arts, our school has received numerous awards and recognitions for successfully integrating the arts across the entire kindergarten through second grade curriculum. Students experienced the vibrancy of music, drama, dance, and visual art opportunities not just in the special area classes, but also in the regular classrooms, as well. Arts integration is an invaluable teaching strategy for engaging students in the course material and creating teachable moments that outlast the academic school year. Studies also show increased standardized test scores, increased community and parent involvement, and improved teacher morale. With arts integration, everyone wins!
We have a diverse student population and an active and involved Parent Teacher Organization.
Please spend time viewing our website and see all the wonderful things about our school and the ways you can participate.
STAFF AND ACCREDITATIONS:
- 21 certified classroom teachers including 6 national board-certified personnel
- Certified English language Learner specialist
- Full-time school counselor
- Full-time literacy specialist
- Full-time certified library media specialist
- Full-time certified PE teacher
- Full-time certified music teacher
- 4 Full-time SPED resource specialists and assistants
- Full-time certified Gifted Program teacher (Pathways)
- Full-time computer teacher
- Full-time art teacher
- Two certified speech therapists
- Part-time nurse
For more details, please refer to the Teacher subheading on the school website. Staff members have additional information on their individual web pages.
We utilize STAR Reading and Math, STAR Early Literacy, the Benchmark Assessment System, Case 21 Reading and Math Assessments and the OLSAT.
CURRICULUM-RELATED SPECIAL EVENTS:
- 4 Accelerated Reader Secret Events
- 4 Kingdom Reward Celebrations
- 4 Perfect Attendance Celebrations
- 50th Day and 100th Day of school celebrations
- Walk to School Day
- Reading Fair
- Seuss Day with Celebrity Readers
- Visits from guest authors and artists
- Kindergarten Thanksgiving Feasts
- 1st grade MS Day
- 2ndGrade Fairly Tale Ball
- Grade-level music programs
- Pictures with Santa
- Arts on the Avenue Celebration
- Field Day
- Weekly Monday morning Kingdom Assesmblies
OPTIONAL EXTRA-CURRICULUM ACTIVITIES:
- Computer Tots, Drama Kids, KidzArt, Lego Bricks for Kids
- Canned Food Drive
- Collection for March of Dimes
- Veterans' Day Program
- "Light It Up Blue" for Autism Speaks
- School Partnership with other schools
- American Lung Association
- Wheel Cats- Wheel Chair Basketball Team
- Make-A-Wish Foundation
Madison Avenue Elementary is located in Madison, a suburb north of Jackson. The area's convenient location, strong school system, high property values and easy access to Jackson have made south Madison County one of the most rapidly developing communities within the United States, according to the 2000 U.S. Census. Family Circle Magazine named Madison as one of their Best Cities in 2007.