Welcome to my class. I am so excited to be teaching at GMS. Go MAVS! This year I am teaching 7th and 8th grade science. Middle School is a busy and exciting journey full of new experiences. Consequently, parents and students, please visit my Canvas website on a regular basis to stay up to date on what is happening in class, especially in the event of an absence. Parents, please sign up as an observer in Canvas for each of your child's classes.
ABOUT THE TEACHER
I grew up in an Air Force family, consequently I have lived in many places all across the US. Until recently, I made my home in Oklahoma where I met my husband of 22 years. We have two daughters, one grandson, and three dogs. Our youngest daughter is also at GMS this year as a 8th grader! I graduated from the University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma with a B.S. in Natural Science, a minor in Liberal Arts and my teaching credentials. In my free time, I enjoy spending time with my family, playing board games, and traveling. I am looking forward to a great year at GMS. Please feel free to email me at mlane@ madison-schools.com if you have any questions.
- Be on time for class with your binder, sharpened pencil, and any other needed supplies.
- Be ready to learn.
- Have completed any readings or other preparatory work from the previous class.
- Stay engaged with the current task during the duration of class.
- Follow the MAV Motto.
- We will use the PBIS system of rewards and corrections.
- We will follow the guidelines set forth in the Madison County Schools handbook.
- Turn in all assignments on time!
- Have fun!
Daily Supplies (other supplies may be requested during this course):
- 1 1/2 to 2 in binder
- Colored pencils
- Pencil sharpener
- All graded work is classified as either a minor (34%) or a major (66%) grade.
- Homework is checked for completion and sometimes accuracy and must be turned in on time. Five points will be deducted for each day the assignment is turned in late. Homework will count as a minor grade. Homework is usually what is not completed in class.
- Quizzes will be given throughout a unit in order to gage student’s understanding of the material. Pop quizzes may also be given throughout the unit. Quizzes will count as a minor grade.
- Tests will be given at the completion of a unit. Please check Canvas for test dates. The tests will be counted as a major grade. The best way to help your child prepare for tests is to review the material daily.
- A “NM” stands for ‘No Mark’ and serves as a ‘place holder’ for an upcoming assignment. The “NM” doesn’t affect a student’s average. A “NM” may also be placed in the gradebook if a student was absent when an assignment was given. Once the assignment is completed, the grade will be replaced.
- A “NG” stands for ‘No grade’ and is averaged in as a zero. This shows the student did not turn the assignment in when it was taken up. However, the student may still turn in the assignment for partial credit. An “NG” could also be assigned if the student did not put their name on an assignment. Students are welcome to check the ‘No Name’ board located in the classroom to see if their paper does not have a name.
- I encourage both parents and students to sign up to my remind 101.
- 7th grade please text @7mlane20 to the number 81010 or download the Remind 101 app.
- 8th grade please text @8mlane20 to the number 81010 or download the Remind 101 app.
- ****** don't forget to include the "@"
- Students will need a science binder for my class. Binders should always be well organized by unit. Students should keep all work. Please DO NOT throw away work after we complete a unit.
- In addition to the binder, we will be using Canvas. This will be your child’s main source of information, the place to access assignments, and the place to turn in assignments. Parents, please sign into Canvas as an observer! The link is on our GMS website. Once on our webpage, scroll down and the link is located in the middle column.
- We will be doing inquiry based labs this year. It is important that all labs be completed. If your child is absent, they will need to come to zero block to make up a lab. The main purpose of my labs are to develop skills that will make them successful in future science classes.
- All extra individual help will be given during zero block. If a student misses a class, he/she may also complete make up work during zero block.
- 7th Grade Zero Block is on Wednesdays from 7:30am to 8:00am.
- Parents, I know we are all very busy. But, the best way to help your child be successful in my class is to have a daily conversation with your child explaining our current content. Please ask questions prompting your child to recall as much as possible.
Remember, it’s a good day to have a good day!